Welcome to Neumannia (A.K.A. the Neumanns)

Our story... good, bad, happy, sad, glorious, humbling, & hopefully a little hilarious... so that someday,
when it's printed (for the sake of reviving our memory & inspiring our grown children) they will have
seen Jesus in our day to day lives... because in the end, that's the secret to Real Life!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I Am My Mother

So here I am, the grand old age of 36 & I am officially my mother. I've seen it coming. There have been signs, but I along with my husband have been in denial. I mean really, does anyone ever want to A: grow up or B: become their parents? It was 2 years ago, walking down the halls of MCA to register my kids, when it first hit me. I was walking down the same hall, working in the same office & my kids were the same ages-my mom was just here twenty-something years ago-very surreal! Then there's the occasional "I rebuke that in the name of Jesus" when my kids are just spouting off at the mouth. The minute I say it (so naturally I might add) I think of my mom. She always tells it like it is & I find myself doing the same. I'm still determined to be more steadfast then my kids...I do get weary, but then there's mom's voice saying, "the Lord gave you those children with their personalities because He knew they needed you as a mother the same way He gave me you!" I love being reminded & being retold stories about my colorful childhood. You're probably wondering...the garden photo? Well, I remember my mom saying, "Every child should grow their own vegetables." We attempted it in our GG home during my elementary years-fond memories! So here I am, ironically with children who are pickier than me, attempting to "grow my own vegetables". We've got strawberries, melons, pumpkins, sunflowers, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini & spinach (corn, sugar snap peas & 2 dwarf fruit trees are elsewhere in the yard). Granted I'm probably growing it all at the wrong time, BUT this is an experiment:) What I realized through all this "growing" is how much my mom "sowed" into our lives. So, my prayer is that I do the same for my kids. Some seed may scatter by the wayside, some may fall on tough soil, but some may take root and grow slowly for twenty-something years before they sprout. I hope she is enjoying the fruit of her labor. I have been blessed with a mom who loves my dad, loves us, but loves the Lord more. Sooooo... I think I'm finally okay with becoming her in my own unique way!

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! and your raised garden beds! Be steadfast and keep on growing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are some great ponderings, Jess! thanks!

    ReplyDelete