Welcome to Neumannia (A.K.A. the Neumanns)

Our story... good, bad, happy, sad, glorious, humbling, & hopefully a little hilarious... so that someday,
when it's printed (for the sake of reviving our memory & inspiring our grown children) they will have
seen Jesus in our day to day lives... because in the end, that's the secret to Real Life!

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Planes, Trains & Automoblies


I inherited my love of travel from 2 people...my mother & my Aunt Lynda. I remember at various times in my childhood, my mother expressing a desire to "see America". She used to talk of renting an RV, before the passing of my grandparents, & taking all of us (including Nanie & Grandpa) on the grand adventure of seeing our great country. Then there was my very "trendy" aunt from Chicago who became an Airline Stewardess (now we know that profession by the PC term Flight Attendant) back in the glamorous days of travel. For many years that was "what I wanted to be when I grew up" because of the many benefits of flying for free. Soooo, here I am (and we've already established that I'm grown up) with that same inner bug to travel. And not so much just for myself (my heart always hears Europe calling), but a desire to give the gift of travel to my children. Dan has a much more practical outlook, "Why see another country when you haven't first discovered your own?" I didn't have a good answer, so for now the only stamps in my passport are the ones I get watching "House Hunters International". Instead, I started mapping out "Road Trips" to get in as many states as possible during these last years available with the kids. "Available?" you may be thinking, "Your kids are young!" Yes, they are, but time to travel seems to be slipping away from our calendar years and instead filling with things like sports & friends. Don't get me wrong...loooove sports & totally get the social adolescent years...I guess I just want to go for it before high school life kicks in:) My resources include Our 50 States by Lynn Cheney, Top 10 Places to visit, The Food Network website (TripleD, Giada's Getaways, Chef vs City & The Road Tasted) & our own family history. We'd only checked off California & Oregon until last Christmas, when the gift to our kids was luggage with an airline ticket to Chicago inside. The look on their faces was priceless...our trip an amazing success...so begins our adventure to Discover America!

No comments:

Post a Comment